Recent legislation was signed into law with the aim of increasing college participation and preparing our youth to enter the workforce. This legislation, Senate Bill 391, created the Nevada Promise Scholarship. For those who qualify, this scholarship will pay any remaining tuition and mandatory fees at a Nevada community college after Pell Grant, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant, Governor Guinn Millennium Scholarship, or Silver State Opportunity Grant awards are applied. The goal of this last-dollar scholarship is to give all high school graduates the chance to go to college, regardless of need-based or other financial aid.
The College of Southern Nevada (CSN) and the Clark County School District are teaming up to ensure students are aware and take advantage of this extraordinary opportunity.
To be eligible, high school seniors must:
- Be an official resident of Nevada, 20 years of age or younger at graduation, and receive a public/private high school diploma, high school equivalency diploma, or equivalent recognized document.
- Apply for the scholarship at www.csn.edu/promise by October 31, 2017.
- Apply for admission to a community college such as CSN at at www.csn.edu/apply. Once admitted and subsequently enrolled, students will need to register for and maintain at least 12 college credits per semester.
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FASFA) online at www.fafsa.gov by April 1, 2018. The FAFSA window opens October 1, 2017.
- Attend a mandatory information workshop by December 31, 2017.
- Meet with their assigned volunteer mentor by April 30, 2018. The student mentor will be invested in their future, providing much-needed guidance through the college admission process and helping to ensure their success.
- Complete at least 20 hours of community service by April 30, 2018. Once a student has received the Nevada Promise Scholarship, 20 additional hours of community service must be completed during each year they attend the College of Southern Nevada.
Apply for the scholarship by October 31, 2017.